So this week has been ridiculous for everyone, and definitely far more stressful for others than for me, but I’ve had my share as well. Powers on…powers off. Powers on….it’s off again. We are cozy and warm….we are freezing and have no gas left to drive anywhere. Lines for gas are better..then they get worse. It’s pretty much a really intense rollercoaster and what isn’t helping is the fact that I have been shut inside an at times dark and chilly house with an almost two year old pretty much exclusively for the past two weeks. NO ONE ELSE is around. My poor husband is working overtime at his job because no one else can get there, so its just the ladies at home. Which is great. Until thats all it is for like forever and you can’t even drive to Target because you don’t have enough gas!!
Soooo what do you do when you are shut in and not always with power with a wriggly kid?? Allow me to tell you some of the things we’ve done:
1)Baked when we could- when power is on and we need to keep busy, we bake. We made muffins and cookies and she loves helping out. Cooking with toddlers is great, but you gotta go with the flow and not worry about the mess. Sure she ends up pouring half the flour on the floor by accident, but its okay! Just add some more in and pray it binds up okay!
2) Coloring and painting- we colored and painted a lot. She has a whole section of the kitchen table devoted to her art supplies so she hops up and colors a bit, then climbs down and goes about her day. She has even started putting caps back on markers. whoot!
3) Glass markers on the back door- we use these because its super fun to draw on things mommy usually says no to. I broke them out a few times when she was super crabby because we couldn’t go outside and it got a nice 20 minutes of calm happy coloring.
4) We made tambourines:
5) We made a fort out of blankets and pillows- This one made her happy. She’d crawl inside with a flashlight and read books!
6) We went trick or treating!
7) We made coffee filter turkeys and sang silly preschool finger play type songs:
8) We made a headdress for her to wear on Thanksgiving!
She looks drunk here, sorry, no good pictures to be had!
9) We ran around and danced and screeched without pants!
10) We even played in the snow today…though those pictures are all on my phone so you can’t see em. This morning I actually just threw her in the car and drove to my moms since we had no power and she did, but when we got there I realized all the kid wanted to do was play in the snow. And here I was, grumpy and tired and cold and not thinking at all about the wonder of snow. So there we go…bundled up, outside, and she had the best time ever. Kids really do make you see the best in things and so really, she helped me survive too!